Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Better Get a Move On

It's been a while, huh? What's my excuse? How about overwhelmed with school? Nope. How about having a really heavy load at work? Nope. I know... How about been so terribly busy creating lovely handmade items to show the world? Sadly... no. Now don't get me wrong. Working fulltime and going to school fulltime have been keeping me quite active but the truth is that I really haven't had anything to say lately. And I'm a strong be believer that if you don't have anything useful to say then keep your mouth shut. I guess that a bit of a spin on that whole "If you don't have anything nice to say..."


So, I consider myself a bit of a slacker even though other people may disagree. (Maybe their just being nice and really do think I'm a slacker too, huh? *shrug*) Well, if you've read any of my previous post, you know that I frequent Etsy.com. As I was perusing all the wonderful handmade items on this site I came across something that startled me. Here... Let me just show you:


Knit Beanie for Toddler/Tween with Detachable Butterfly Hair Clip





I see I need to explain. Okay. I knit. I knit hats, scarfs, legwarmers, armwarmer... I think you get the picture. But before that, and most of all, I am a wire sculptor. Floral wire art mostly. And that there picture up above is something that I've been working on but haven't gotten quite right. Below are some of my attempts at doing this same thing:


My issue is that I feel like my flowers are too heavy for the hats. But in order to make the flowers look realistic I feel I need a realistic number of petals. Perhaps the answer is to only do flowers and designs that only use a few petals. Or perhaps I could find wire of lighter weight. Usually, I use floral wire for my sculptures but perhaps it would be good to try jewelry wire.With this last idea in mind I began my Google search. And of course I came across many sites that sold jewelry wire. But I chose one in particular because the name caught my eye... http://www.wire-sculpture.com/. Perfect match, right?

Well, I'm looking at the website and I'm wondering... is jewelry wire ever lighter than floral wire? If anyone knows, please leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment