Thursday, February 17, 2011

What I Do

I've talked about a number of things on this blog already. Okay... maybe not that many. I mean, did go on and on about the [sing it with me now] ♪♫ Intergalactic planetary ♪♪ Planetary intergalactic ♫♪ bead show, didn't I? Well, I'm sorry! I was excited and it took me a while to down off that high. I'm good now. I promise I will TRY not to be such a geek about it when I go back in July. But I will probably still sing the song (Gonna have to find a link for that so you guys can listen to it) and I'm DEFINITELY going to show you all the goodies that I purchase. I'm saving my money so there will be a great deal more next time.


Believe it or not, after all that talk about the bead show and the goodies that can be had, that is not what this post is about. Today, I want to bring it back home, sort of speak, to my first love. That would be wire sculpturing. To be more exact, floral wire sculpturing. You see, when it comes to knitting, jewelry-making and even cooking, I am still learning. But floral wire sculpturing... that's my baby. That's where, if I were so inclined, I would claim some level of expertise. I don't just make your simply flowers or butterflies. I can shape roses, daisies (where I incorporate a little knitting), calla lillies, day lillies, orchids, sunflowers, peonies, brown-eyed susans... there I go getting carried away again. What can I say? Art excites me. Creating thrills me. I can stare at something I've recently made for almost an hour, thanking God for the talent He's blessed me with the entire time.


Enough talking, right? Here are some pictures to give you an idea of what I'm rambling about.


This was just a little something I threw together sometime last year... or the year before that. You know, I really don't remember. What I do remember was that Hobby Lobby (I'll have to rave about them in another post.) was having one of their mad crazy sales where the mirror and the candle were more than 50% off. I'd seen this combination of elements before and always wanted to try putting it together myself. This sale presented the perfect opportunity.

I often blame being a fulltime student and being employed fulltime for not keeping up with my art. But in the end, I don't really have any excuse. If I were a better manager of my time I could probably produce something once a week... Alright then! Here's another picture before I REALLY get down on myself.


This is just a closer look at the blossoms: blue-tinted, pink roses (I don't think these exist in the natural.) and simple yellow day lilies with pink stamen (Once again, probably not found in nature). I took a little creative license with this piece. Usually I like to keep things natural but I think I was just working with what I had. I remember thinking that there was no point in purchasing any new material since I had no intention of attempting to sell this item. Here's another bit of floral art for your viewing pleasure:


This is one of my daisies. The center is knitted and then sown around a circular wire frame that I shaped myself. It was my intention to make this into some sort of barrette. I either decided that it was too heavy or just never got around to it. After handling it again today, I'm thinking it was more than likely the latter. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment