Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Molotov Time! (Is the Old Testament Obsolete?)

Mr. Mitchell speaks again, as he does every week. This week he gives well-intentioned Christians some serious food for thought. Remember that I mentioned before how he considered himself a Christian supremacist. Well here, he challenges the 'Christian' argument that marriage is only for one man and one woman which is used in the defense of the marriage amendment. He explains that in the Old Testament polygamy is never called a sin. As a matter of fact, when God is chastising David for hooking up with Bathsheba He says this, "And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom... if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things." (2 Samuel 12:8) Now I believe in only one interpretation of Scripture and that would be the one that comes from the Holy Spirit. He NEVER contradicts Himself but of course... that is something that will be addressed at a later date. But I am not convinced that God was saying He would have given David more wives if he'd asked for them. I mean, did God give Adam Eve AND Genevieve? Nope.

Is the Old Testament Obsolete

Molotov goes on to reassure his viewers that he is not a proponent of polygamy. He believes that one wife is more than enough. (lol) Smart man. But at the same time he refuses to call polygamy a sin since it is NOT called a sin anywhere in the Bible. I was ready to come back with the argument that polygamy was not called a sin because all of that went on before the Law was given to Man but no. That wouldn't fly. David's story comes well after the Torah (which contains the Law). Or does it?


But then something else came to mind. I do believe the idea of marriage being between one man and one woman comes from "An elder must be blameless, the husband of but one wife..." (Titus 1:6). This scripture is explaining the requirements for a man to become an elder in a church. Since this man would be considered an example to be followed by the other men in the church is makes sense to assume that the ideal marriage situation would include only one man and one woman.


What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment