Saturday, April 16, 2011

Broken Promises

Everything has been fluffy and artsy lately. Please allow me some time to let off a bit of steam and voice my frustrations. Time to discuss a more serious topic... our government's fiscal irresponsibility. I listen to talk radio -- both liberal and conservative. Well, the Republican side (conservative posers, I like to call them) was all abuzz about overreaching government spending and a need to cut the budget. And of course they promised during the election season to tackle this matter head-on. Yeah, right *rolling eyes*


According to usgovernmentspending.com the US Gross Public Debt for end of fiscal year 2011 is $15.476 trillion dollars. Yes, trillion. Can anyone tell me how many zeros that is? *looking for raised hands... and seeing none* That would be twelve zeros. ($15,476,000,000,000) That is over 15 MILLION billion... or 15 BILLION million. Did I get that right? Somebody check my math. It can all be a bit overwhelming, right? Yup.

Time Series Chart of US Government Spending

Who deals in such large amounts of currency?? What in the world was purchased (even over time) that costs so much? I truly do not understand but at the same time am not so curious that I'm going to go in a detailed breakdown of exactly what makes up the federal government and debt. Today, I'm talking about broken promises.

Republicans were allowed to take charge of the House of Representations based upon the promise that they would rein in the spending of the federal government. There was the repeated declaration that when it came time to vote on the budget they would demand $100 BILLION in cuts. $100 BILLION. After the dust had settled from the scuff-up of the election and after weeks of extensions in order to avoid a government shutdown, an agreement was finally reached. And what was that agreed upon amount? Well, we were told that the original amount had been reduced to just over $63 billiion and then $38 billion but then settled on a whopping $300 million, yes MILLION dollars. 


Of course, excuse after excuse was made as to how this was the best that could be done at the time and how the House on makes up one half of one third of the government. I've got something real immature to say to that. Whatever. I don't even think they care about letting up down anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment